ST NICHOLAS COLLEGE, MGARR PRIMARY SCHOOL
(Agħfas hawn għall-versjoni bil-Malti: Kodiċi dwar Allerġiji)
- The aim of this policy is to minimize the risk of students with allergies to come in contact with food/items that they are allergic to.
- The policy aims to outline a plan in case of an emergency.
- A list with pupil names will be given to all members of staff.
- The school will keep updated information on pupils with intolerances and allergies.
- Changes in pupils’ medical conditions must be reported to the school.
- Parents are to provide written information from GP and/or consultant explaining the condition, any triggers, what medications need to be administered and protocol to be followed in case of an emergency.
- Where Epi-Pens/medications are required parents/guardians are responsible for the provision and replacement of Epi-Pens/medications when they expire. Epi-Pens/medications should be clearly labelled and placed in a suitable container.
- Parents are responsible for providing accurate and on-going information about their child’s intolerances/allergies.
- Parents to provide up to date emergency contact details.
- Parents are to ensure that their child’s lunch is safe.
- Staff is responsible to familiarize themselves with this policy.
- A meeting is to be held between the Class teacher/LSE and parents to brief them about the child’s needs, and also to be knowledgeable about the allergy condition.
- Staff need to know what treatment/medications are required and where medication is stored.
In case of an emergency:
- Call 112
- Inform the Head of School or delegate
- Call the school First Aider for medication
- Call child’s parents
- The School First Aider is responsible for administering the Epi-Pen or other medication.
- Medication is kept in the office of the Head of School or Assistant Heads.
- The school/class is declared a nut free zone in the event of allergic students.
- The school shall inform parents of particular class case/s during the beginning of the scholastic year meetings.
- All school parents are informed by means of a written circular.